Monday, September 26, 2011

Here's one of my favorite smoothie recipes!
On days when I don't feel  like breaking out the juicer I have this delicious treat!
It's loaded with superfoods and "good for your skin" ingredients!

This recipe is super easy and very customizable. I like to always have at least 1 type of berry because they're loaded with antioxidants. Since I haven't had a smoothie all weekend I used 3 for this one... blueberries, strawberries, and goji berries! I also threw in a banana for the texture.
You may not be familiar with all of the ingredients so here's a little run down:
cacao nibs - raw chocolate, packed with nutrients & is a natural mood lifter! Get it raw so it's still full of all those good for you things that get cooked out of most chocolates!
bee pollen - I get this in capsule form because it's just cheaper that way where I shop but it's also available in powder form. If you get the capsules just pop them open, use the contents, and toss the capsule (they're biodegradable so no worries =)) It's rich in B vitamins, vitamin C & E, and antioxidants! Bee pollen is also said to have many anti aging benefits, help maintain your weight, and boost your immune system. It also works well at combating seasonal allergies! 
*OMIT IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO BEES*
maca root - I use the capsule form of this for the same reason as the bee pollen. Peruvian maca root is an adaptogen that regulates hormones in both men and women. It is said to boost energy and for women it combats PMS and acne associated with your cycle.
Spirulina - It may sound icky but spirulina is basically algae. BUT, it's algae that has been shown to prevent heart damage, reduce severity of stroke, restore motor skills after a stroke, reverse age related mental decline, prevent and treat hay fever, correct anemia, correct cholesterol & blood pressure problems... and so on and so forth. There is soooo much information on spirulina. I'm not saying it's going to cure anything that may be wrong with you but hey it can't hurt... unless you have any type of marine algae then you should omit this ingredient just to be safe!
Goji Berries - aka the wolfberry (which I happen to prefer haha) This superfood is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Like spirulina there are tons of claims to all sorts of healing properties! 
The other ingredients are pretty common but of course it's best to research everything you put into your body so if you have any questions google is a wonderful thing =]
I hope you enjoy this recipe. I love that it can be made to fit anyone's taste. Be sure to follow the directions on each of the products you purchase because there CAN be too much of a good thing! =]
Happy Monday!



2 comments:

  1. Yum. Yum. Yum. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good super smoothie! I haven't tried bee pollen yet, but if I want extra endurance I will put some chia seeds in mine.

    ReplyDelete