Monday, August 15, 2011

Hope everyone had a great weekend! It definitely went by a little too quickly for my liking but ah well, c'est la vie!

This week I promised to give you guys a recipe for making bath bombs. If you've never heard of a bath bomb it's a little ball that you drop into your bath water to set off an explosion of fizzy bubbles! They're awesome... kind of like pop rocks for the tub! I think they've taken the place of those little scented cubes that dissolve in your bath... remember those? They had the picture of whatever flower the cube was scented with on the wrapper.  I used to put the whole pack in my bath when I was small haha sorry mom!
Anywho.
I love all things by Lush Cosmetics and the bath bomb was the first thing I ever purchased from their store waaaaaay back when I was about 14! I'm sure you can get them other places I just love Lush and all of their bath bombs are wonderful!
When I found this recipe I knew I had to share!
I was actually skeptical at first because I couldn't find all of the correct ingredients so I had to sub a few things but it worked! It makes your skin super soft and if you choose to color the bomb your bath water will be colorful too!

You'll need:

2 tbsp citric acid powder
(may be substituted with vitamin c powder or crushed vitamin c pills...unflavored)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 c baking soda
3 tbsp almond oil
3 - 6 drops of any essential oil or fragrance (optional)
2 - 3 drops food coloring (optional)

Blend all of the dry ingredients. If you're crushing vitamin c pills like I did be sure to crush very finely. Add the oil to the dry mixture and blend until you get a soft dough like consistency. Add the fragrance and color if you choose. I used juniper berry and added a teal color to my bombs! Shape the "dough" into any shape you want. I used a cookie cutter and made mine into a big pill shape. Lay your bombs out on wax paper and let harden for 24 to 48 hours.
Just drop them in the bath when you're ready to use!

This recipe makes about 4 ounces which would be enough to probably give you 6 small bombs but I made big ones and I got 2 and 1/2.
Here's my finished product! They can get very crumbly so be careful when you're shaping and try not to move them around too much once formed.

Have fun with this recipe! Instead of or in addition to essential oils add some dried flowers or herbs! Try to make a rainbow bath bomb by layering different colors. You can even use candy molds to make fun shapes! Just get creative!

Have great day!


1 comment:

  1. Love the French words from time to time, love the pop rocks comparison, love the post! I can say that these bombs work, I put my hands in the test batch and they were soft indeed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete