Tuesday, August 2, 2011

As I mentioned yesterday I love making skin care products so I want to give you guys a weekly recipe! I'll try to mix it up quite a bit and have simple recipes like masks & exfoliants for beginners and more complex recipes like moisturizers & cleansers for those of you who are more experienced. (Not that any of these will be overly complicated =))
 I think the things you put on your face should be just as good for you as the things you put in your body so pretty much everything I'm going to use in these recipes will be natural ingredients.
The first recipe I want to share with you is a banana & egg mask. 
You'll need:
1/3 of a very ripe banana
1 whole egg
1/2 tsp olive oil

And here's what you need to do:

& then:
 (disclaimer: It was very late and I have nothing on my face but bananas and egg, not my best look... don't judge! haha)

Once your mask is applied sit back and relax for about 20 to 30 minutes. You'll be able to feel the mask tighten as it dries. Rinse completely and voila soft smooth glowing skin!

So why should you put all this stuff on your skin anyway... here's why:
Bananas are great for those with normal to dry skin and are full of potassium and vitamin A. They  provide very gentle exfoliation without any abrasion so they're perfect if you have really sensitive skin, and they also tighten the skin to reduce the look of fine lines and who doesn't want that!
Although this is mask geared more toward those with drier skin types  it also works great for those of us with oilier skin too because of the eggs! Egg whites are amazing at dramatically shrinking visible pores which is seen most often in oily faces. The yolk of the egg is another element that works in conjunction with the banana to moisturize. Using the whole egg helps to balance your skin with the astringent qualities of the white and the emollient properties of the yolk! 
And last but not least olive oil. Sophia Loren is said to have slathered her body in olive oil everyday to keep her skin healthy and glowing. (It must work because the woman is going to be 77 next month and she's still gorgeous!) Olive oil has been used all over the world  for centuries in all types of cosmetics from skin to hair care. It contains a highly beneficial blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and is intensely moisturizing . 

Oh yeah and since you're working with raw egg be sure to be sanitary and don't leave raw egg gunk hanging around. Wash your hands and your utensils really well after using. (but you already knew that =)) This mask makes alot so you can get a friend or two to join you and have a little spa night fun! You can even cut up a few cucumber slice place them over your eyes and have a cup of tea while you wait!

I hope you enjoy this recipe! I look forward to sharing another one next week! If you try it out send me some pictures and I'll put them together and post you guys on the blog!
Have a great day!





3 comments:

  1. Yet another great post! And just so you guys know, being that I'm tabatha's fiancé, I'm also a test mouse so even I use these things mask and they work great! So if you're a dude, don't be afraid to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wonderful! I love the idea of do it yourself skincare. I will be following your recipes weekly. This one sounds amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shea! Dude's like to have nice skin too! & Adriana thank YOU for reading! It smells really nice too! =]

    ReplyDelete